[linux-dvb] Re: Couple of frontend questions

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

> I would suggest the following is done:
>
> FE_RESET ioctl. Change to FE_POLL. The frontends which use this only once to
> kick off tuning will be changed so that they just do this as part of
> FE_SET_FRONTEND, which is really how it should be anyway.
>
> FE_CAN_CLEAN_SETUP. Remove this completely.
>
> Add FE_NEEDS_POLL. If this is set, the FE_POLL internal ioctl will be issued
> during tuning. So only the ves1x93 frontend will currently have this set, and
> it will use it to reset the signal acquisition algorithms.
>
> FE_CAN_RECOVER. Change name to FE_CAN_COMPENSATE_DRIFT. Same semantics as
> FE_CAN_RECOVER, but a clearer name.

FE_CAN_COMPENSATE_DRIFT is a bit misleading. I think FE_CAN_RECOVER
means that if you unplug the antenna cable and replug it, the
frontend will resynchronize itself without manual intervention.
You'd think that every frontend should be able to do this, but...

> What do you think? I won't actually do any of this until after you've done
> that release, to save you some hassle (sorry about checking the dvb_frontend
> changes in immediately BTW; I should have thought first).

If you have patches just post them to the list so I can test them.

Thanks,
Johannes