[linux-dvb] Re: ARM crashing again

Guido Fiala wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 26. Februar 2004 10:30 schrieb Jarkko Santala:

It turned out there were two seperate problems with the firmware at the time. The video buffer was too small to replay some streams (aka RTL bug and BBC mux problem), the other was and is the ARM crash we're talking about here. The patch bypassed the problem but became obsolete around driver 1.0.0 when the video buffer was increased slightly. Unfortunately it didn't solve the ARM crash problems and seems to be unrelated.

Is this still the best known fix to this problem even after all this time
or should I spend even more hours browsing the archive?
It did not solve the problem. Clues, anyone?

I have the same problems, as many for years now...
Rev 1.3 and rev 1.5 FF cards have a problem with replaying only, when no signal is attached to the tuner! Rev 1.6 and later are fine. I believe the bug of this special case (backward compatibilty) is in the firmware somewhere and was introduced between Dpram / Root 1.1.2.6 and 1.1.2.7 on 30 August 2002 and has something to do with the "internal buffer handling". That's only my best guess as other driver / firmware cominations seem to crash for different reasons, which doesn't exactly make it easy to pin-point.

The pre-newstruct driver 0.94 (works with vdr 1.1.13 which allows DVB-T settings) is stable with rev 1.3. cards for example and that is what I used for a long time before getting a rev 1.6 card. So there is hope that this can be fixed, however it requires help from the firmware wizards but they're busy people who could arguably say we should get cards that work properly...

Would suggest to trace down the error to the component probably responsible by doing some tests/logical exclusions:

1. is the firmware the same as under windows?

if yes and the failure does not happen under windows, the error is definitely in the linux-driver part...
Good idea for a test but is it even possible to use the same firmware in Windows and Linux? I thought this only applied to some of the newer DVB-T budget cards which use the Windows firmware / driver under Linux.

2. if no, does the error happen with video-data only or with audio-data-only?

if with video-data-only it's probably in the video-data part (likely)

3. does the error happen with 100% perfect data? (e.g. send one and the same sequence of frames in an endless loop) or only with broken data (simply send random data to the driver)

if it happens only with broken data, it's probably some problem with resynchronisation in the ARM-code on healty data.

4.If it happens also with 100% perfect data it might be a) a race-condition or similar timing dependend error or b) a hardware problem in the ARM itself :-(

Has someone already made such tests?
Yes, not as thoroughly but I remember I replayed the same samples of video-only data in a loop for a couple of hours and made it crash with no signal attached to the FF-card. It were short samples of very likely 100% perfect data but I wouldn't know how to verify that a sample is perfect. I used both mplayer and vdr with the same results.

The samples played back fine with 0.94 more than double the amount of time without an ARM crash. Likewise the samples played back fine for a long time with a 1.0.0+ driver and a signal attached. There's something cards with rev. 1.6 and later do differently when it comes to playback / checking the sat signal, but I have no idea what that would be.

- Gregor