[linux-dvb] Re: Couple of frontend questions

On Friday 27 February 2004 20:19, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2004 19:37, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > Christian Schuld wrote:
> > > So I vote for a way to disable zigzagging completely, may be via a
> > > sysfs interface? It would be nice for tuning the zigzigging parameters,
> > > too.
> >
> > sysfs stuff will have to wait until after we branch CVS to
> > separate 2.6 and 2.4 stuff.
>
> Ack.
>
> > But it's a good idea to be able to disable zigzag and let
> > applications do what they want.
>
> Ceterum censeo zig-zag scan and bending should be disabled completely. ;-)

OK, what about a new user-space IOCTL for controlling the frontend tuning
parameters on a specific frontend... say FE_SET_PARAMETERS. Currently I'd say
it would pass a struct something like the following:

struct fe_parameters {
  int enable_bending;
  int enable_zigzag_tuning;
  int enable_zigzag_drift;
  int enable_unlock_on_diseqc;
}

The difference between enable_zigzag_tuning and enable_zigzag_drift is that
the former zigzag is when an initial lock is being sought, and the latter
when the lock is lost, and we're attempting to compensate for LNB drift.

The new frontend code also automatically "loses" the lock whenever a DISEQC
command is sent... I can see that would'nt be great for finetuning a
motorised dish controlled by DISEQC, so thats what enable_unlock_on_diseqc
controls.

By default, all of the above would be set on.