[mpeg2] Re: mpex experience

Hi Andrew,

My experinece is the same as Gergs, I can't get the board to work at all, I
just get a stream 0x00 from /dev/video1, and can't make /dev/video0 work as
v4l2 device at all (trying to use xawtv2.88).

Initially I was using 2.4.20 with the driver from linuxtv.org. I e-mailed
Gerd Knorr at bytesex.org who suggested patching kernel to 2.4.22-pre and
trying saa-2003813. I tried all this and the only difference it made was that
I only get stream of 0x0 on /dev/video1 when there is a video source
connected rather than all the time.

With both drivers the board seems to be recognised OK on start up and the
driver loads OK, but just doesn't seem to work. By the way I'm using the
version without the TV tuner

The board has exactly the features we are looking for so I bought 2;  it
would be brilliant if it worked, but at the moment I think  I'm going to have
to buy Haupage PVR 350 boards and just ignor the tuner etc.

Peter Scheiwiller
RSA Technology Ltd
OXON
UK

On Thursday 21 Aug 2003 6:20 pm, you wrote:
> I would really recommend the MPEX cards. Previously we had used the KFIR
> cards. The kfir ones were pretty useless... drifted out of sync within 5
> hours of encoding start, died on signal loss, required a complete reboot
> every week to keep them going.
>
> The MPEX ones however, seem fine so far.
>
> As for drivers, check out the saa7134 driver at http://bytesex.org/
> I'm adding support for the MPEX card to it right now. Works under kernel
>
> >2.4.20. The version on that page isn't complete yet, however. I'm still
>
> working on the MPEX-specific audio support right now (BTW: I'm just doing
> the encoder bit, borrowing bits from the original driver at linuxtv.org).

Home | Main Index | Thread Index