[vdr] Re: Channel/Recording Security on VDR

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:41:34PM +0100, Robert Schneider wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't know how many of you use VDR in production with your whole family.
> But those who have kids and have VDR in their livingroom, may share my
> friend's and mine desire:
>
> We would like to have something in VDR, that allows us to protect certain
> channels and recordings from being seen by our children. Sometimes you
> don't have a chance to oversee what your children are watching on TV and
> being able to block certain channels and recordings would be a great help
> on that.
>
> I just wanted to raise that subject here on the list, to get some feedback
> on how many people would be interested in such a feature and to gather
> some ideas on how it should/could be implemented.
>
> I would volounteer to implement it if this is nothing Klaus is working on,
> anyway.

Something like this is the wrong "solution" for a none existing problem.

The right(tm) solution is to have enough time for the children. All
other "solutions" cure only symptoms not the real problem(s).

And in reality you don't have the slightest chance of preventing your
children from watching channels you don't want them to watch if they
really want to watch those channels. There will be at least one friend
whose parents don't have the time/knowledge/interest in preventing their
children from watching those channels. So your children only need to go
to this friend and can watch those channels freely, without control of a
parent.

So, if you really want to cure this "problem(tm)" (Btw. It's a problem
because you think it's a problem. It needn't be a problem in reality!
I've played "killer" games since i was 11 and i'm no psychopatic
killer!) you have to watch those programs with you children and make a
discussion why you don't want them so watch such things. This works much
better than a plain "I don't allow you to watch such things".

Bis denn