[vdr] not vdr specific: mplayer and mpeg2

Well, sorry for posting such question here, but it seems that there's a lot
of peopol that can help me here...

In fact, after looking for DVB card, I'm wondering about a simple solution
with analogic TV card such as WinTV PVR because I don't really needs all
thoses channels of nuimeric TV and I don't want to pay for them.

But I want a PVR machine :)

So the question is: As a WinTV PVR has an hardware mpeg encoder, I will be
able to record without problem on my little PII 400 Mhz. But will I be able
to watch generated mpeg file with this little PII 400 with no hardware
decoder ? Does mplayer is fast enought to play mpeg2 file (720*576) ?

If anyone can advice me...