[vdr] Re: CPU too fast??

Emil.Naepflein@philosys.de(Emil Naepflein)  04.10.01 08:46

Once upon a time Emil Naepflein shaped the electrons to say...

>On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:09:47 +0200 , "Koch, Steffen"
><steffen.koch@sphinx-elektronik.de> wrote:

>> Are there any known issues that a celeron 500 is too "fast" for
>> simultaneous record and playback? I've two Hauppauge 1.3 cards and
>> with a k6-3 400 (asus p5a) it works fine. yesterday I tried a
>> siemens-board with a celeron 500 and experienced dropouts every 2 or
>> 3 seconds. I've read about "speed"-problems here some time ago. but
>> I thought they would appear at faster speeds like 800 MHz or so. Any
>> help will be appreciated

>I run a 700 Mhz Duron and have no problems in a 4 DVB-S system with 3
>concurrent recordings and one playback.

Emm, "concurrent" recording may relax the problem,
because the CPU is too busy to be too fast :-)

(Assume -for example- that the CPU is too fast and
see a "ready" bit, that's acuttally still the old
one, because the AV71xx controls it by software and is
too slow to clear it in time. (It's just an example what can happen
with too fast CPUs and hardware. I don't know if this is
true for the DVB-S)

>But I still run 0.95 and an older DVB driver version.

Which kernel?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index