[vdr] Re: OT: 149 GB Maxtor disks.

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 10:41:17 +0200, Lars Bensmann <lars@almosthappy.de>
wrote:

> No, it will not. After a channel failure both disks will be marked as
> failed and the Raid will not start running automatically. There is a
> chance to get it running again, but data integrity is seriously threatend.

Remember, this disks are used to store movies. After setting the
remaining disks all online and doing a fsck the only data on risk is the
data which was written at the time of the crash. Everything else will be
fine. Remember, only one disk failed actually, the second disk was only
blocked.

A further stop of a total loss is that I have divided the disk in a
considerable number of partitions. So if one partition is broken, there
is only a slight loss. Of course I have to reorganize the data I want to
keep permanently von time to time because VDR spreads the files of a
movie over multiple partitions by default.

> I don't know what happens with a Raid-0, but I'm sceptical if you can
> rescue any data when 1 disk goes down.

On a Raid-0 you cannot recover. This is only a temporary state in my
system until Raid-5 combined with one of the journaling Filesystems runs
fine without any performance problems.

> P.S. This gets seriousy offtopic. Maybe we should continue this off-list.

I think this is not totally offtopic, because more people may run
systems with raid to prevent loss of their permanent recordings. But I
think we are at a point where we can stop.

You say that such a configuration is not totally secure against data
loss - I agree. I say I know the risks and point of failures and can
recover from some of them without loss, from most with partial loss. And
hey, this is no life critical data, it is just movies which are repeated
by the stations from time to time anyway. ;-)

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index