[vdr] Idea: Change DVB card while recording

Hello,

I had the idea of switching to another DVB card while recording. Some
details of what i mean:

* The problem

I have two DVB cards. The first recording is recorded on DVB 2. A
second one on DVB 1 (because the second is used now). Then, the first
recording is finished.
Finally, I have only one card that's recording (the primary one),
and I cannot use my VDR box to view another video.

* One solution

A perfect solution for me would be that VDR "starts" recording on the
second card on the same channel, makes a binary comparison of the
received streams and then stops the recording on the first card without
loss of any audio/video-data after the correct synchronization.

OK, I don't know if this could work, but I think it should. Even if the
buffers of the two cards have another "offset" according to the received
stream, the same data should go through their buffers. When there are
some single byte errors, one could make a "99%-comparison".

Another solution is that vdr really stops the recording on the first card
and continues on the second the same way as if i quit VDR and restart
it. That means that I have an error at that point. But for many
recordings, it's ok (when I only view the material once, like talk
shows).
For this solution, there has to be a parameter that controls WHEN to
make this. Maybe there sould be a toggle parameter (on/off) for each
timer, or one could define an integer so that this function is used only
for the recordings with less the priority of this integer.

P.S.: Another solution would be to start a playback on the second card,
I know. But I don't want this, because then I have to connect my second
card to my tv set and have to change the input of the tv each time.

Tschau.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index