[vdr] Reiserfs vs. XFS.

Emil Naepflein wrote:
> The reiserfs coming with SuSE Kernel 2.4.4 seems to be more stable. I
> had no problem so far. During my vacation I even did a hard power off
> each day to save some power and the system survived without problems.

I installed SuSE 7.3 (with kernel 2.4.10) on a new PC and initially
used reiserfs.
When yast2 tried to boot my installed system for the first time,
the system hung (as it turned out, I must disable ACPI to work
around this) and I had to press the reset button. I rebooted and
got hundreds of error messages about missing files...

In my experience, reiserfs cannot be trusted and I will always
use XFS whenever I can.

I have been using XFS under IRIX for about 7 years and under Linux
for over 3 months now without a single glitch.

Too bad SuSE 7.3 still does not contain XFS by default.

Does anybody know why it does not seem to be a priority at SuSE
to put XFS in?

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index