[vdr] Re: Reiserfs vs. XFS.

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:02:07 +0100, Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@icem.de>
wrote:

> I agree that it's not very complicated and my experience is,
> that it always runs very smoothly.
>
> However, I must defend Emil:

Thank you for the help. ;-)

> it is more work than using the
> options provided by the SuSE installation (= leaving things
> as they come)

That's the point. I want to enjoy Linux-VDR and not play around with
Linux whole weekends and all night. ;-)
My family wouldn't be much happy about this. So the point is to minimize
the effort to do a conversion.

> and it becomes even more work if you want to
> convert your root file system to XFS on a system without
> spare partitions.

I have all the system partitions as Raid1 except for the root
filesystem. For the root filesystem I have a copy on a second disk which
can be booted from floppy. It would be easy to setup a copy of the
current ext2 root partition with XFS and reboot there.

The time consuming effort is to convert 14 raid0 partitions to raid5 and
XFS without any loss of data and with a running and used VDR. ;-)
This will be a slow process.

Emil

Home | Main Index | Thread Index