[vdr] DVD A/V syncing

Hi all,

There has been some dicussions about the new A/V syncing on the list.
Klaus has used a somewhat simpler version of the A/V syncing that i'm
using. To my surprise it works for quite some people out there. This
proves the at least my test DVD ("The Matrix"), is one of the more
problematic ones. From the mail's i've seen, it would appear as if at
least "Star Trek: Resurection" has the same problem. I also had the same
problems with "Tiger and Dragon".

On all those DVD's the video appears to be jumpy every 30sec or so. This
is because the cards firmware tries to resync the video to the audio.
This happens because the card 'thinks' the audio is out of sync.
The real reson is that the PTS (presentaion time stamp) on the audio
packets is somehow wrong.

The jumpy video has nothing to do with the version of libdvdread (as
someone suspected).

The AC3 problems some people are seeing are due to the buffering
performed by the variouse AC3 tools. I've seen at least one tool that
buffered 200kbyte worth of AC3 imput data and due to way it read those
data, couldn't start play this until the buffer had been filled,
resulting in a kind of jumpy audio. Another tool assumed to allways read
comlplete AC3 frames from the input stream and would fail if it got only
partial frames.

To summerize: make sure your AC3 tool buffers not more that 2048 Byte of
input data and reassembles partial received AC3 frames.

BTW: I'm currently not subscribed to the maillinglist, please copy me on
all replies - Thanks

Have fun

   Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index