[vdr] Re: DDS3 Streamer ?

axelgruber3@gmx.de(Axel Gruber)  12.11.01 23:07

Once upon a time Axel Gruber shaped the electrons to say...

>Hi all

>anyone use a DDS3 Streamer (SCSI) under LINUX ?

>Is it possible write and read from a stramer like from a usual / path?
>I think about to use a DDS3 Streamer to store recordings from VDR
>but i want to acces directly to the tape ...

>Does anyone know if this is possible ?

You mean to mount the (sequential) "char device" "tape" like a
(random access) "block device" "disk" and place a file system
driver over that?

I don't know if there is a file system emulation for (DAT)Streamer
under linux. But i remember that there was one for W...uuups.
The problem was, that the drive was quickly weared out.
But with the big video files that would not be such a problem.

The "normal" way would be to "tar" or "cpio" the data to the tape.
"mt" is a tool you will need too.
Storing the "tar -t" output on disc it may be easy to
go to the storage positions.

Maybe someone already solved that?
Did you already ask google?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index