[vdr] Re: Re : VDR files to vob

Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > Would it not be very convenient to be able to use the tons of software
> > that exist to process DVD *.vob files also for VDR 0*.vdr files?
> >

> That's exactly what I mean. If we use VOB, we'll have a very compatible
> format with tons of software and enough pids for multiple audio-,
> subtitle- and video-streams. And we could write the video_ts-directory
> directly to DVD by using packet-writing with UDF - which means we could
> directly record to DVD+/-R(W) - or CD as mini-DVD, if we set file size
> to 700 MB (I think most of stand-alone DVD-players would also handle CDs
> with DVD-content)!

I am the one who years ago talked the driver developers into
supporting standard MPEG format (rather than AV_PES) directly
from the driver. I was also the one who pleaded for VDR to
support standard MPEG format.
In the meantime, I felt really guilty that I did this, because
for a long time nothing really worked after the driver started
to support standard MPEG format.
Of course, I now feel twice as guilty, because the whole idea
of using a standard format is worth nothing, if the format is
standardardized, but not commonly used.
I am sorry that I did such a bad job of specifying the details
of my idea. When I came up with the idea, I simply did not know
that there is a big difference between standard MPEG and
standard MPEG.
And a few days ago I still did not know that the one Klaus
picked was not the most common one.

In any event, I believe that there is no further need to sell
the idea of going from PES to PS to Klaus. Klaus has already
agreed that this will be a good thing. Now all we need is
somebody who creates the patch...

Carsten.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index