[vdr] Re: AW: Re: Re : VDR files to vob

Am Mon, 2002-07-15 um 16.53 schrieb "Bläser, Lars":

> [...]

That could change rapidly. DVD+R(W) also had problems with compatibility,
but since they provide Tools to set the Media-Type on the DVD, compatibility
is same or better than with DVD-R(W). DVD-R(W) also had trouble with
compatibility at the beginning, but it only relied to the
burning-software.

You've to think about the four layers of a CD/DVD-recording.
First, you have the hardware, which means the CD or DVD - which both
work in DVD-players. Second is the file system. You can use ISO9660 or
UDF on CD/DVDs, which are also handled. Third is A/V-format - DVD-player
usually handle MPEG-PS, CDDA, MP3, S(VCD), ... And fourth is the codec -
MPEG1 layer2/3, MPEG2, PCM, ... is handled by a DVD-player.

So it's no problem of the Media but of the rules of firmware deciding
which media-type, formats and codes to use. And there are certainly ways
to trick the firmware. If you need it, check the DVD standards.

But i'll use my DVR-A03 now, even it is a bunch of chunk I won't buy
again - especially if you use linux. Next one will be DVD+R(W).

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index