[vdr] Re: Necessity of Emergency Exits...

Martin Hoffmann wrote:
>>Is it *really* necessary to shutdown the *whole* vdr just because the video
>>stream of *one* recording is broken for a second or two ?
>>Wouldn't it be *much* better to "record" just a black picture or whatever
>>until the signal is back ?
>
> Of course you are right if it comes to lack of signal because of external
> influence (e.g. weather) - then Sit_and_Wait should be the best way to deal
> with this !
> However, afaik the emergency exit was created because (more or less *) often
> the DVB driver gets stuck and delivers no video signal ! The only thing that
> helps is reloading the driver - that's why vdr exits, undloads drivers, loads
> drivers and restarts itself !
> So, how should VDR distinguish between both cases ?

Hmm... maybe VDR could "have a look" at the signals of *all* cards ?
Only if *all* signals are missing a driver failure would be the reason
most likely . And even if not, if *all* signals are missing, restarting
would not harm anyone. This of course applies only to VDR boxes with
more than one DVB card built into it. With only one card, restarting
still isn't the best choice on errorhandling but an acceptable (even the
slowest possible) one...

> Best would be, if on one hand the drivers never get stuck and on the other
> hand the drivers could be loaded seperately for each card at runtime of VDR !
> But i do not know if any of these is technically possible !

I don't know, are the drivers still *that* buggy ?

--
with best regards
--

Home | Main Index | Thread Index