[vdr] Re: Cutting problems?

Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:29:48PM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

So times in marks.vdr are correct for the video stream?
Actually VDR doesn't look at any PTS or whatever when cutting. It simply
takes the I-frame at the starting point together with whatever audio
packets might be in there. This is a very simple approach which must
work since replaying an MPEG2 stream must be able to start at any time
from the next available I-frame.

Nevertheless, on replaying there are _sometimes_ some distortions
visible (`Kloetzchen') and audio sometimes gives sharp noise.
I demuxed a vdr file with distortions using ds.jar. Playing the resulting mpeg video file alone with mplayer does not show the distortions. It seems the audio discontinuity confuses the players.

Whereas if tosvcd uses marks.vdr to do a svcd image using
I will try a similar approach with ds.jar which is supposed to support cutting too. Does tosvcd place the cuts at _exactly_ the same position as vdr? I am trying to place the cuts at the best possible position with vdr and would like to keep that position.

Nevertheless, ds.jar compensates the missing audio frames by inserting "silence" at the cuts which I can live with because the cuts often are at scene boundaries.

mpeg2enc this seems not to happen.  mpeg2enc seems reorder the
PTS and recalculates sync offset of the audio part.

IIRC tosvcd has (or had) problems with _already cutted_ recordings, maybe it does not recover from the audio dicontinuities as good as ds.jar

Wolfgang
        Werner