[vdr] Re: splitted vdr system

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 12:09:31 +0100, Klaus Schmidinger
<Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

> There is no such interface. What would you need that for, anyway?

One could replace this functions by a remote plugin which allows to
program the timers on the server by using SVDRP. The same can be done
for the recordings menu.

For a replay only client one could use a remote transfer-mode to stream
live data from a central server to the client. Then the schedules menu
can be replaced to show the schedules on the used card on the server.

In general I am thinking about a central server with multiple DVB cards
and semi-dumb/dumb clients with/without a DVB card. The clients should
have the same user interface (OSD) as standard VDR. But the
functionality should come from the central server.

A plugin interface for this standard menus can also be used to provide
different user interfaces. I.E, currently the recording length is
introduced as patch. A plugin would allow to replace tha standard
recording menue with one that provides this functionality.

The concept for a distributed VDR should be discussed for 1.3.x.

Emil