[vdr] Re: A/V sync problems with new drivers

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:

> - The ARM 7 is capable of hardware scaling (pg 34) If Mplayer
> could utilize this capability, it could make a lot of people with
> low CPU power in their STBs happy. From what I have figured
> out of Mplayer it doesn't make use of this feature when doing
> an output via -vo mpegpes. However, this will probably only
> work with native mpeg 2 input streams ;o((.

I heavn't read the document, so I don't really know, what hardware
scaling means in this context, but I think, it means the following, what
mplayer (or better, mplayer.sh) does use:

If you play a video with a resolution of 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL)
then the ARM does a hardware scaling to the full NTSC or PAL format
(720x480 / 720x576). It does so also for the width, if the height is
either 480 (NTSC) or 576 (PAL) and the width is one of the following:
PAL:  352 480 528 688 704
NTSC: 352 480 512 640 704

Cheers,
Juri