[vdr] Re: How to launch the vdr GUI ?

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:55:02 +0300, "Otto J. Makela" <om@iki.fi> wrote:

> And why, in your opinion, are they not a GUI for using this system?

The GUI is the OSD at the video output of the DVB card.

> I believe the original questioner was asking why doesn't he see these
> displays but just the message "sync" and then nothing else. I've had
> something like this happen to me also on the xawtv screen.

Why aren't you looking just http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/software.htm to
see how the GUI looks and how it is used?

> MANUAL starts out assuming you have a set-top box with an infrared remote
> control, explains the ir keys there in itty-gritty detail but doesn't at
> all explain the background of how the thing works or what to do if you
> just would like to understand the thing first with a normal PC without ir,
> though the README does refer to this possibility.

This software is primarily intended to provide the functionality of a
set-top box with a standard PC.

And what do you expect? This is non-commercial free software. If you
feel that something is missing and nobody else wants to implement this
then feel free to contribute.

> The problem, as I see it, is that there are no how-to-get-started and
> what-you-will-need and what-this-software-actually-can-do type instructions
> for beginners.

There is a lot of information available, you just have to read it. Look
around on the website above and follow the links.

> And then we have to ask these questions on the mailing list,
> where we receive ah-so sarcastic but not very helpful replies.

There were no sarcastic reply, and there were helpful ones. That you
have a different understanding regarding what GUI means may have caused
the misunderstanding.

> So, this is something for controlling vdr via the net instead of as a
> dedicated set-top-box?  It'd be nice if the linuxtv/vdr pages could at
> least refer to the existance of this software.

May be a section like for Plugins is missing which lists add-on
software.

> I'll see what I can get done with it.  The documentation for it doesn't
> actually do anything as straightforward as explaining what it does,
> but then again, it is release 0.93.

Again, don't expect to much. This all is free software which people have
written in there spare time. As with most software projects writing
documentation is something that is disliked by developers. ;-)

If someone has problems with the installation and handling it is easy to
get help here on the mailing list.

Emil