[vdr] Re: Anounce: double episode killer :-)

> i must admit i never tried mastertimer and vdr,
> but as i understand from your post, you point out one
> of the draw backs of mastertimer, it a singular solution.
>
> my intention was to use my divx archive (which includes
> folders with dummy files for each cd i have) to sort out
> doubles, even regardless if vdradmin or myself created them.

This wouldn't be a problem, the data-format of the "done"-file is simple
title|subtitle
You could just append data in that format to the file.

One problem would be that master-timer currently want's a 100% match.
Even the case is significant. So you could get a problem if the
title/subtitle is slightly different. But it wouldn't be a problem to
make this more relaxed. (Personally i prefer an "extra" recording over a
missed recording, so i could make a config-option for this.)

> this has a broader scope than only the recordings made by
> that system itself, but the pay off is that the syntax of the
> divx archive must be consistent, the advantage is that even
> "imported" avi's/svcd can be taken into account, and nothing
> has to be kept track off, since the archives are scanned on
> each invocation.
>
> So i learn that mastertimer should have benn on my harddisk
> 18 moth ago :-)

Guess why i started to write master-timer 2,5 years ago? StarTrek Deep
Space Nine was about to start and i couldn't use perdiodic timers
because the time of the replay varied day by day. Checking the recording
and maybe programming timer for the replay "by hand" wasn't very
attractive. (Multipy this with many series/day. May personal record was
about 7/8 series/day. Currently i'm recoding 5 series/day)

As Mr. VDRADMIN once said in a private mail. Master-timer is unix-like.
Powerful, allround but (a bit) cryptic. :-)
Whereas vdradmin is designed to be "easy to use", which explains why
more people like vdradmin. :-)

> Thanks for your reply, atleast this explains why i'm the
> only one fiddling around with those problems ....

;-)

Bis denn