[vdr] Re: Problems with exit-states (VDR-1.2.2)

Rene Bartsch wrote:

> Am Mit, 2003-08-27 um 11.18 schrieb Steffen Barszus:
>
> > Of course it is one big line and further:
>
> Yes it is, Wrapping was only by mailer.
>

> > su -c "vdr --config=/etc/vdr --record=vdrreccmd --shutdown=vdrshutdown \
> >               --terminal=/dev/tty1 --watchdog=60 -P\"dxr3 \" -P\"control              \
> >               --terminal=/dev/tty9 --port=2002 \" -P\"games \" -P\"mp3              \
> >               --mount=mount.sh --cddb=/var/lib/cddb \"  -P\"mplayer           \
> >               --mount=mount.sh --mplayer=mplayer.sh \" -P\"remote --tty               \
> >                /dev/tty10 \" -P\"vcd --vcd=/dev/cdrom \" " vdr
> >

> > > Please send the line **EXACTLY** the way it is given to the shell.
> > > That's either with '\' at the end of wrapped lines, or as one single
> > > long line (make sure your mailer doesn't wrap it!).
> >
> > See above.
>
> See attachment.

Well, that looked ok so far.

> > > ****************************************************
> > > PLEASE, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > ****************************************************
> > >
> > > Having (separate) configuration files for each plugin would make
> > > things unnecessarily complicated.
>
> What the command-line is. The line above is for 7 plugins only. Think
> about it for 15 or twenty plugins!

See my reply to Steffen Barszus' posting just a few minutes ago.
Of course a complex setup would be written into a file, like

su -c 'vdr --config=/etc/vdr --record=vdrreccmd --shutdown=vdrshutdown \
           --terminal=/dev/tty1 --watchdog=60 \
       -P"dxr3 " \
       -P"control --terminal=/dev/tty9 --port=2002 " \
       -P"games " \
       -P"mp3 --mount=mount.sh --cddb=/var/lib/cddb " \
       -P"mplayer --mount=mount.sh --mplayer=mplayer.sh " \
       -P"remote --tty /dev/tty10 " \
       -P"vcd --vcd=/dev/cdrom " \
      ' vdr

and it would just be another line for each plugin you want to add.
I don't see the trouble here.

> > Each plugin would have to implement
> > > ways of reading, parsing and writing these files. Using command line
> > > parameters is a simple and efficient way to configure these things.
> > > Just because one user has trouble using quotes the right way
> > > shouldn't trigger an IMHO unnessesary orgy of config files.
> >
> > Well  .... vdr reads is own config too, why shouldn't a plugin read its
> > config the same way ? I don't see where an orgy of config files should
> > come from ? And the "one user has trouble using quotes the right way"
> > is a bit harsh, it is even not clarified that the problems do come from
> > the quoting. Of course vdr is your baby, but i don't see the cause you
> > react that way.
> >
> > > So, again
> > >
> > > ****************************************************
> > > PLEASE, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > ****************************************************
> > >
> > > I'd hate to have to edit config files if all I want is to set a
> > > simple parameter for a plugin.
> >
> > does it exclude each other ?
>
> And for linux-/vdr-beginners it would be much easier to edit a
> config-file with comments than figuring out how to set up such a
> complicated command-line.
>

> > > I know I can't enjoin on plugin developers how to handle their
> > > parameters, but I strongly advise to stay with using command line
> > > parameters for things that need to be set individually at startup,
> > > and store other things in the setup facilities already provided.
> > > Surely, the plugin interface allows plugins to have their own config
> > > files in the 'ConfigDirectory()', but those are for other things, not
> > > startup parameters.
> > >
> > > Klaus
> >
> > I really don't see why you have these strong concerns ....
> >

> I don't do so, too. The command-line breaks things easily. One wrong
> character and VDR fails to record!

Hey, wait a minute! It's not like you fool around with the system setup
all the time. Of course you create your setup, test it, and make sure
everything works as expected. If you just mess with your setup and don't
test things after that, you can easily have the same problem with config
files.

> I've already implemented a special
> loop into the init-script starting VDR without ANY plugins in case it
> can't recover to fail-safe for recordings!

That's certainly a good idea - no matter what way you define you plugin parameters! ;-)

> In my opinion the way to go is to store the settings into config-files
> and make it possible to overwrite them by command-line. This would also
> allow to provide default-config files for plugins. No linux-beginner
> really can set up VDR.

Oh, so you know that for a fact?!

> I'm using VDR for over 2 1/2 years now and I NEVER got the command-line
> working correctly for plugins!

Well, then let's find out where _exactly_ the problem is!
Would you mind systematically reducing the complexity of your
setup, until the command line is handled correctly? That might
help in finding out whether there in fact is a problem with parsing
parameters.

Klaus