[vdr] Transcoding to mpeg2

I'm guessing there may be a few people on this list that are doing transcoding to mpeg2 in order to view non mp2 videos with VDR.

I'm currently using a line of

mencoder -o bb2.mpeg -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=5000 -vop scale=720:576 -oac lavc bb.avi

To do my transcoding. This works fine, but on my 933Mhz C3 I get a glorious convesion rate of about 9fps. I kinda expected this because
the C3 isn't the fastest machine in the world and MPEG2 is known to be quite expensive.

So - are there any good 'options' I can pass to mencoder that people have discovered - notably, I don't care about the output file size particularly, my
high value for vbitrate= was to try and save it some time in compressing.

I'm probably going to buy a 3Ghz P4 or something to act as my transcoding box - does anyone know if that should be sufficient ?

--
Activiti Ltd.
7th Floor, Nicholsons House

Home | Main Index | Thread Index