Re: No Napster Socks Proxy, was Speed in masq

Hi!
> Q: is napster working behind dvb ?
>
> A: Yes. Just enter the proxy (easiest if you got your own squid) in the
> proxy configuration of napster. But napster is going to be shut down at
> Saturday 6.00 o'clock in the morning, so I recommend Gnutella
> (gnutella.wego.com) !

you havent tried this, have you?

napster requires a SOCKS proxy, squid is a http/ftp proxy.

Nonetheless, there are ways of getting other protocols via the eon
proxy: e.g. by tunneling packets in http packets.

I once created the following configuration:

socks5 proxy on a machine with t3 internet connection
httptunnel-server, connecting to socks proxy
eon proxy and sat
httptunnel-client, forwarding client port to httptunnel-server->socks
napster, using httptunnel-client as socks server.

the configuration worked, and I managed to download files with more than
12k per second, which was obviously more than what my isdn line would have
allowed.

however its definatly more reliable to use a napster client on the
shellbox and download via ftp.

faz

Home | Main Index | Thread Index