[linux-dvb] Re: WinTV nova problem?

Rainer Zocholl writes:
 > rjkm@convergence.de(Ralph Metzler)  14.10.01 23:09
 >
 > Once upon a time Ralph Metzler shaped the electrons to say...
 >
 > >Rainer Zocholl writes:
 > >> Are here other user of "budget" cards like "WinTV nova 541"?
 > >>
 > >> If they have time would someone be so kind and
 > >> do a
 > >>
 > >> grep "ERROR: can't record MPEG1!" /var/log/messages /var/log/syslog
 > >> grep "ERROR: skipped" /var/log/messages /var/log/syslog
 > >> grep "ERROR: unknown picture type" /var/log/messages /var/log/syslog
 > >>
 > >> (Or whereever your syslog.conf logs, maybe
 > >> zcat /var/log/*.gz | grep ERROR
 > >> to get some older/longer time infos )
 >
 > >Sorry, but all these messages are not from the DVB driver.
 >
 > Jepp. But the problem seems not to be in the application.

Why?

 > >Which application is producing them and under which circumstances???
 >
 > "(Kernel 2.4.10, *VDR 0.96*, snaphot DVB, Intel)"

This does not tell me under which circumstances the mentioned messages
occur.

"ERROR: can't record MPEG1!" or "ERROR: skipped"
does not really tell me what is going on.

 > These messages are only indicators. From DVB-drvicer i didn't get
 > such (warning) messages (if i do not count the kernel oopses that
 > sometimes happened in DVBdemux etc. memcpy-routines because the

Do you mean dvb_demux.c?
Where does this oops occur in there?
Can you run it through ksymoops?

 > >> Maybe there is is still a tiny problem with this type card?
 > >> I have tested two, both are not working flawlessly in Intel 815
 > >> (had only Intels avail) (Artefacts. Sound probs. no tune from "H" to
 > >> "V" etc) The "full" 1.5 and 2.1 records errors free(as far as
 > >> i can see and as long it is logged at all)
 >
 > >Do you have sample code which produces streams
 > >with artifacts and sound problems?
 >
 > What "code"?
 > Maybe i have saved a record with those artefacts.
 > Do you mean that?

No, I mean a simple program which records the kind of stream you have
problems with and shows those artifacts.

 > The driver is involved only so far as that he seems to rely on that
 > the received data is in "spec". But sometimes the garbage seems to
 > lead the driver to try to copy more data in the buffer as would fit: Oops.
 > Maybe VDR delievers wrong pointers, but that too should never
 > lead to a kernel oops andf why should it depend on the board used?

Without something like a ksymoops dump I really cannot do anything.

Ralph