[linux-dvb] Re: How to use the drivers from 2.5.x kernels?

Benjamin Forgeau wrote:

> 	Hi you all,
>
> 	I want to try the DVB drivers from 2.5.x kernels. I downloaded the
> kernel 2.5.50, it compiles, no problems at all. I discovered some nice
> ideas in this kernel, like ALSA (not working for now, but that's not
> the point).
>
> 	How should we use the drivers??? What is the standard way??

just like before.

> 	In the near future, the DVB drivers will be included in the 2.6.x
> kernels. Then DVB will be available out-of-the-box for everybody. Then
> should we just use it like #include<linux/dvb/frontend.h> and so on,
> without more information??

The API documentation is right now only in the old DVB module. We'll
have to clean it up and then submit it to the kernel Documentation tree.

> 	I tried to replace the directory /usr/include/linux with a link on
> /usr/src/linux-2.5.50/include/linux, and tried to compile VDR, but a
> lot of symbols are defined twice. So it is not the solution. I don't
> want to hack more before I get an idea on the right way to go. Which
> one?

most software has the DVB API include path coded somewhere in the
Makefile or you can pass it by configure-option or environment variable
before calling make.

> 	Another thing, there is no "version.h" in the kernel include files.
> Why?? Will it disappear??

This one was omitted by accident, I sent it again to Alan Cox. You
should find it in the kernel release which includes the next patchset.

> 	And what is the status of OSD in the future releases?? There is a
> remark in the help message saying that it may not be supported later.

That's correct. Don't rely on it - this interface is very tight bound to
the AV7110 based DVB cards. Use e.g. DirectFB, SDL, XRender or any other
portable graphics API when you create a DVB video application.

Holger