[linux-dvb] Re: How to use the drivers from 2.5.x kernels?

	Hi Holger,

	Thanks for the quick answer. Ok, so basically, like before, a source
file should have something like:

#include<linux/dvb/frontend.h>

And the makefile should add an additional include directory pointing on
the drivers include dir. It would just be good to have it auto-detected
if the actual kernel has such a directory. But ok, in the case someone
wants to use a development version of the drivers, it is good to leave
it as option.

	I'm just confused no known DVB application does try to identify the
DVB include dir in the kernel. Maybe the latest VDR (I looked in
vdr-1.1.18).

> The API documentation is right now only in the old DVB module. We'll
> have to clean it up and then submit it to the kernel Documentation
tree.

	All right.

> > 	Another thing, there is no "version.h" in the kernel include
files.
> > Why?? Will it disappear??
>
> This one was omitted by accident, I sent it again to Alan Cox. You
> should find it in the kernel release which includes the next patchset.

	Ok, but what is the purpose of it? Pre-compiled programs won't have
the chance to determine the version of the API then (an old debate I
think). If the purpose is to determine the name of the right device, it
is strange to have it in the kernel, because either you use a devfs,
and then the names are ok, or you use (ok, in the future) a file system
set up by a linux distribution, and I don't know why the names should
be in the old fashion.

	The FrontendCapabilities is sufficient to know what the frontend is
able to do.

	Anyway, is there a good reason why it is necessary to support the API
version 1??? For backward compatibility maybe, but the number of
programs using DVB is still reasonnable.

> > 	And what is the status of OSD in the future releases?? There is a
> > remark in the help message saying that it may not be supported
later.

> That's correct. Don't rely on it - this interface is very tight bound
> the AV7110 based DVB cards. Use e.g. DirectFB, SDL, XRender or any
other
> portable graphics API when you create a DVB video application.

	I don't quite understand. So you mean we have to forget about OSD???
Or a Frame Buffer device will come in the near future for OSD??

	By the way, maybe I missed something, but what is the status of
sending raw data to the DVB display (you, know, in order to see DivX
films on the DVB tv-out)??

	thanks for your enlightments.

		ben