[linux-dvb] Re: Timing recording

Thursday Dec 12 13:33:26 +0000 2002 Chris Pitchford <nova-t@intrepid.cx> wrote:

> I quite often record programmes on terrestrial digital whilst I'm on my
> way home from work using dvbstream. Since dvbstream doesn't have a
> timelimiting feature and because I though it would be useful I wrote a
> program called timedrun
>
> http://chris.intrepid.cx/timedrun-1.0.0.tar.gz
>
> timedrun -t 1h-5m dvbstream -f 481833 -ts -o  -f 481833 2827 2828 > recording.ts
>
> This would record channel4 for 55minutes (1hour - 5minutes)

Hmm, that is nice, especially that 'timespec' :)

But. I have `dvbsave.sh' shell script that chooses the channel information
and then runs dvbstream with correct options. How does timedrun handle all
subprocesses the process it launches..

In my (secret ;) wishlist there has been an option to dvbstream where
one could give length how long it runs... but even though dvbstream is
widely used to do recording, that is not for what it is designed primarily
for.

Currently I use `rundvbsave.sh' -script (which is on another machine),
and it does the thing(tm) somewhat like the following way:

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--
START=20:00	# that is eight o'clock pm ;)
END=21:00	# and that is ... ;)

( delay -q until $END; killall dvbstream ) &

delay -q until $START
dvbsave.sh <channel>
# poweroff

Delay is program available at http://onegeek.org/~tom/software/delay/
Freshmeat search helped me to (re)locate it for this email.

Tomi