[linux-dvb] Re: automatic AD cutting [was "Timing recording"]

There is a much bigger problem with this technology. DVB is not frame by
frame stream such as capturing an analog signal. The stream is GOP in that
there is a key frame followed by a series of delta frames (frames that
collectively only contain differences since the last keyframe)

0        25       50       75      100
K------->K------->K------->K------->
   ^Start of programme

if the program starts somewhere after a keyframe then you would like to
"drop" all the frame prior to the start.. This means that this GOP (group
of pictures) is not incomplete and must be rebuilt. There aren't many
tools Ive seen to do this.. certainly none that would on the fly.

Since effectively Mpeg-2 is quantum you can only cut to the nearest group
of pictures Keyframe. This means, almost certainly, there will be a bit
before and a bit after the program you want.

Also since so much is analog the process of recognising images becomes
impressively complex. Twined with the fact you would need to provide test
data to the recognition software which inself would be particularly
difficult.

I seem to recall of hearing a project that looked for the, and please
excuse the fact I forget its official name, but the little flashing black
and white square in the top left/right corner of the tv picture prior to
comercial breaks.

It also calculated to time between commercials (the black picture) to
calculate when a comercial had finished..

Maybe this kind of generic approach would be better suited?

My appologuies if this has all be said before, just my 2p worth

chris