[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-s and Sky channels

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 09:45:26PM -0000, Bob wrote:

> What daunts me most about building a system is the IR tramitter bit, are you
> selling units? :) (I have a phobia when it comes to electronic components
> :) ).
> Btw, what about IR receivers to control VDR, are they part of most DVB
> cards??

I was afraid of that bit too, but it really is a no-brainer. I chose
an infrared receiver for the serial port, compiled lirc 0.6.6 from
source with

./configure --with-driver=serial

and after a bit of modprobing (receiver is connected to ttyS1:)

modprobe lirc_serial io=0x2f8

I would use irw to check if the receiver works and then

irrecord

to teach it the buttons.

Then, after recompiling vdr with remote set to LIRC it worked
instantly. I was quite impressed by "my" hacking skills ;-)

Let me know if you need more support. There's a series of good german
articles on how to get things up and running, so if you read german
the URL might be helpful:

http://www.linvdr.org/doku/

Regards,

uwe

--
Uwe Schuerkamp    http://www.schuerkamp.de/
GnuPG Fingerprint:  2093 20B8 B861 9358 A356  B01A E145 9249 5D27 33EA