[linux-dvb] Re: OT: hardware mpeg2 encoder card with linux support?

On Saturday 15 March 2003 23:09, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know it's a bit off-topic here, but i think this si still the best place
> where i can hope some answer.
>
> I want to buy some hardware mpeg2 (or mpeg1 is ok, too) _en_coder card,
> which has linu xsupport. There are hundreds on teh market, but none of
> them mentions any support for linux :(
> I've found that Kfir card mentioned in linuxtv archives, and some rumours
> about upcoming Kfir2-based hauppage cards. Any news on them?
>
> I need it for some analog VCR application (like VDR but for analog
> broadcasts).
>
> The best would be if it could compress any data i send to the card (so i
> could apply filtering, osd etc to the captured video) but if it's together
> with the tuner or have compisite/s-video input it's also good.
> I need full PAL resolution (720x576 or so) and good quality/compression
> ratio, so software encoding is not a solution.

Hi Arpi,

Klaus is using the Kfir board and has implemented a plugin for using it as
valid recording device from inside vdr. AFAIk he is using it to record from a
sky-box. The only other vendor that maybe in some time will support linux
(not sure yet) is vidac with their vidac vmagic.( I have mailed them  a
couple of weeks ago and they said they are talking about it currently). For
the Kfir board Klaus  can sure say more about it.

--
Regards
Steffen