[linux-dvb] Re: OT: hardware mpeg2 encoder card with linux support?

Steffen Barszus wrote:

> On Saturday 15 March 2003 23:09, Arpi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know it's a bit off-topic here, but i think this si still the best place
> > where i can hope some answer.
> >
> > I want to buy some hardware mpeg2 (or mpeg1 is ok, too) _en_coder card,
> > which has linu xsupport. There are hundreds on teh market, but none of
> > them mentions any support for linux :(
> > I've found that Kfir card mentioned in linuxtv archives, and some rumours
> > about upcoming Kfir2-based hauppage cards. Any news on them?

> Hi Arpi,
>
> Klaus is using the Kfir board and has implemented a plugin for using it as
> valid recording device from inside vdr. AFAIk he is using it to record from a
> sky-box. The only other vendor that maybe in some time will support linux
> (not sure yet) is vidac with their vidac vmagic.( I have mailed them  a
> couple of weeks ago and they said they are talking about it currently). For
> the Kfir board Klaus  can sure say more about it.

The Kfir card works pretty good with VDR and my 'sky' plugin.
However, there are two drawbacks: one is that there is a green, dotted line
across the bottom end of the screen, which apparently is caused by the
modules of the 2.4.10 kernel I am using. If I use kernel 2.4.18, this problem
is gone (however, with that kernel DMA doesn't work with my HD).
The second, more serious problem is that when I use the Kfir driver in TS mode
(which I have to do since VDR requires a Transport Stream) only the very first
recording after loading the Kfir driver works fine. Every following recording
has heavy artefacts at the bottom end of the picture, and this gets worse with
every further recording. Apparently something in the driver isn't reset properly
when closing and re-opening the device. I have reported this problem several times
on the mpeg-2 mailing list, but nobody was able to come up with a fix :-(
So currently I have to reload the Kfir driver after every recording...

Klaus