[linux-dvb] OT: hardware mpeg2 encoder card with linux support?

Arpi writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I know it's a bit off-topic here, but i think this si still the best place
 > where i can hope some answer.
 >
 > I want to buy some hardware mpeg2 (or mpeg1 is ok, too) _en_coder card,
 > which has linu xsupport. There are hundreds on teh market, but none of
 > them mentions any support for linux :(
 > I've found that Kfir card mentioned in linuxtv archives, and some rumours
 > about upcoming Kfir2-based hauppage cards. Any news on them?
 >
 > I need it for some analog VCR application (like VDR but for analog
 > broadcasts).
 >
 > The best would be if it could compress any data i send to the card (so i
 > could apply filtering, osd etc to the captured video) but if it's together
 > with the tuner or have compisite/s-video input it's also good.
 > I need full PAL resolution (720x576 or so) and good quality/compression
 > ratio, so software encoding is not a solution.
 >
 > thanks,

You could use the kfir, or the Haupauge VDR 250/350.
The kfir drivers are at linuxtv.org. I haven't heard anything about
kfir2 in a while.
The drivers for the Haupauge are still under construction. Ask on the
video4linux mailing list for details
(https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/video4linux-list).
or have a look at the sourceforge page http://ivtv.sourceforge.net/.

Marcus