[linux-dvb] Re: OT: hardware mpeg2 encoder card with linux support?

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:09:18PM +0100, Arpi wrote:

> I want to buy some hardware mpeg2 (or mpeg1 is ok, too) _en_coder card,
> which has linu xsupport. There are hundreds on teh market, but none of
> them mentions any support for linux :(
> I've found that Kfir card mentioned in linuxtv archives, and some rumours
> about upcoming Kfir2-based hauppage cards. Any news on them?
>
> I need it for some analog VCR application (like VDR but for analog
> broadcasts).
>
> The best would be if it could compress any data i send to the card (so i
> could apply filtering, osd etc to the captured video) but if it's together
> with the tuner or have compisite/s-video input it's also good.
> I need full PAL resolution (720x576 or so) and good quality/compression
> ratio, so software encoding is not a solution.

It's probably not very helpful wrt your question, but the general
problem with encoder cards is that there is no standard API for
them. The Kfir driver just uses lots of module parameters for
the encoding parameters, which means that you cannot change them on the
fly.

There was some discussion about an MPEG encoder API a while back
on the video4linux list; maybe someone wants to check it out:

http://www.mail-archive.com/video4linux-list%40listman.redhat.com/msg06328.html

Regards,
Johannes