[linux-dvb] Re: Recommended DVB-T card for UK use please

On Friday 28 March 2003 10:05 am, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:42:56AM -0000, Edward Wildgoose wrote:

[snip]

> > Can I also try and glean a little other info which isn't immediately
> > obvious without having a card to play with: Do the drivers offer a V4L
> > interface to the extent that I can use xawtv, or even mythtv to view
> > the picture?  Does this still apply if I have a card without an MPEG
> > decoder (obviously I realise that the CPU load will be higher).
>
> You're on the right track :) The full-feature (onboard MPEG decoder) do
> provide a V4L /dev/video0 interface, whilst the Nova-T and other budget
> cards do not (they are just tuners with a COFDM decoder and spew out a
> raw MPEG Transport Stream).
>
> The 'standard' VDR setup in the UK is a Nova-T (about £100) and a
> seperate Creative Dxr3 or Sigma Hollywood+ MPEG decoder card (about £25
> on eBay), since there is a plugin for VDR to use one of these cards as
> the primary output device.

You can also use the Nova-t with a software decoder such as mplayer. I had it
running for several months like this with excellent results.
Record/playback/timeshift are all possible on this setup, but it's not nearly
as elegant as vdr.

Andy