[linux-dvb] Re: Recommended DVB-T card for UK use please

> > You're on the right track :) The full-feature (onboard MPEG decoder) do
> > provide a V4L /dev/video0 interface, whilst the Nova-T and other budget
> > cards do not (they are just tuners with a COFDM decoder and spew out a
> > raw MPEG Transport Stream).
> >
> You can also use the Nova-t with a software decoder such as mplayer. I had
it
> running for several months like this with excellent results.
> Record/playback/timeshift are all possible on this setup, but it's not
nearly
> as elegant as vdr.

So just to be sure about this.  If I get the full and extremely expensive
non-budget card (in particular the TT-DVB-T  card), then I will get a V4L
interface that I could plug xawtv into without any bother?   And presumably
I get another /dev/dsp device to get sound from?  Channel changing is also
automatic by the V4L interface?

My original plan was to setup a box for mythtv and a bt878 tuner for normal
terestrial TV.  However, digital tv looks like it might provide a higher
quality input than normal analogue TV.  Obviously I am wasting CPU power by
decoding and re-encoding the MPEG channel, however, using mythtv offers a
few advantages such as adjustable encoding bit rate, and epg program
information for the future, rather than just now/next.  However, mythtv is
v4l only and doesn't take mpeg input directly (shame)

Obviously I will be setting up vdr as well if I get such a card, and
following both projects, however, the epg is quite important to me and so I
am veering towards myth until I can get this from vdr.  (To be honest vdr
may well do everything I want, but it seems to be difficult to evaluate
unless you own a DVB card, I can't get it to fire up and run without one...
There are a limited number of screen shots as well.  The point is that I am
not in any way against using vdr, its just that I don't know much about it.
Myth I know and is working for me very well so I would like to plug a TT DVB
card into it first and work from there)

Thanks for any further confirmation

Ed