[linux-dvb] Re: Which distro works out of the box for DVB?

Friday Apr 11 00:59:07 +0100 2003 Alex Woods <linux-dvb@giblets.org> wrote:

> > Go to /usr/src/linux and type "make menuconfig".  You will get a kernel
> > configuration menu.  Immediately select "exit" and save your (unchanged)
> > kernel setup -- turns out the module build system expects to see the
> > configuration file, even if it is the standard, unchanged one.
> >

> To be safe, you should try and find the configuration file for the kernel that
> you're running.  I think most distros will put the config file in /boot now,
> and on some you can even find it in /proc as config or config.gz.  Ask around
> on the relevant distro mailing lists if you have trouble finding it.
>
> Once you have found the config file cp it to /usr/src/linux/.config and run
> 'make oldconfig'.  Once you've done that, the kernel source is configured.
>
> You may find you have to run 'make dep' after this stage, too.

With RH9 one source configure sequence could be like:

$ wget http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/apt-0.5.5cnc4.1-fr1.20030325a.2.i386.rpm
$ su
# rpm -ivh apt-0.5.5cnc4.1-fr1.20030325a.2.i386.rpm
# apt-get update
# apt-get install kernel-source#2.4.20-8
# ln -s linux-2.4.20-8 /usr/src/linux
# pushd /usr/src/linux
# cp /boot/config-2.4.20-8 .config
# make oldconfig
# make dep
# popd

Note that I only partially tested that -- and I don't (yet) run
RH9 on my DVB -machine (cowardly still running working oldstruct
configuration in RH8.0 there ;/)

> Cheers,
> Alex

Tomi