[linux-dvb] Re: how-to for newbies

Robin Marlow wrote:
Ok, I started with kernel 2.4.21mdk91.  When I applied the bttv patch,
(manually as it wouldn't play nicely) everything compiled fine - but it
wouldn't boot.  When depmod ran it caused a stack trace to be produced &
then hung irreversibly when loading another module.
So i thought i should use the version of bttv that the patch was written for
(bttv-0.9.4)  But it says that to use this you have to use a specially
patched kernel 2.4.20-kraxel.  So i got this kernel, patched it to Kraxel &
compiled it and the modules.  Then compiled the patched bttv module.   This
installed too... i was almost getting optimistic!
looks good so far.

So i made the dvb-kernel from the download package, but the make install
what download package are you talking about? dvb-kernel is in CVS only. You only need the DVB/-tree (or the tarball) for the test applications only.

didn't do anything (there isn't a make install).  so i made the cvs version
& that did install.  I copied the sandy heath (i live in london & it sounded
the closest) channel.config to the .szap directory, but it still complained
you have to copy the config file to ~/.tzap/channels.conf.

about there being no /dev/dvb something.  So i thought that it wasn't
modules.conf in the linuxtv-dvb package to mine.
have you run the makedev.napi script? This is necessairy for non-devfs systems. You find this script in the driver directory in the DVB/-tree. However, to avoid such troubles in the future I'd everybody recommend to use devfs.

Holger