[linux-dvb] Re: TT DVB-T - Further problems

Tuesday Apr 22 15:42:00 +0300 2003 Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi> wrote:

> > Which way is your delay?  On my machine, the lips move first, then the sound
> > arrives later.
> >
> > Does "-delay" delay in this direction, or does it make things worse...?  (I
> > could look myself, but I'm not near a linux machine until tonight!)
>
> I suppose -delay delays the sound, but in my case I've had to use a value
> of -0.150 which would suggest that the sound had delay which had to be
> corrected, as it would also seem to be in your case.

Interesting. In my machine, the sound came first and then lips. I used to
have -delay .2

> I just get confused trying to figure out which way the delay goes and
> always search the right setting just by trying out some values until the
> lips meet the sound. ;)
>
> Mr. Ollila suggested that some newer version of MPlayer might fix this
> problem with the delay, maybe I'll give it a try. I seem to be currently
> using 0.90rc5.

I think (most of) my lip-sync problems gone away around rc2 or rc3... but,
in my third last recording the sound was again 200 ms ahead of video (or,
in my mind, after 200ms adjustment the result was better). I think that
the problem was in source material -- I think both .mpg and my resulting
.ogm were better when run with -delay 0.2. I fixed my .ogm with
`ogmmerge -o goodsync.ogm -s 200 outofsync.ogm' and I am now happy.

I't has been while I last time used mencoder for my .mpg:s. (and I no
longer have the .mpg of the one in question, so I can't test with that).
I`ve been using transcode...

> 	-jake

Tomi