[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T crashes Mandrake 9.1

Bruno Prior wrote:
> As I understand it, linux should handle IRQ sharing. I have to say, I've
> suspected linux's incompetence at IRQ sharing as the cause of God know's how
> many problems, but I have been told previously that it shouldn't be a
> problem to have more than one piece of hardware on the same IRQ. And to be
> frank, if linux can't handle this, we might as well all stop bothering now.
>
> I could try it in another slot, but if this is the solution, it may be the
> final straw that puts me off linux forever.

Well, first, if you change your complete setup and start with drivers
that are still in development you will certainly see problems.
Second, Linux is very well capable of sharing interrupts.
My proof is the laptop I'm currently composing this email. Here is a
snippet of 'cat /proc/interrupts':

 11:    5536853          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, eth0, Texas Instruments
PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller, Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card
Cardbus Controller (#2), nvidia

So network, grafics card, usb and pcmcia share the same interrupt - no
lockups at all.

Third: you are hopefully aware that with that other glory OS you still
have major trouble if your Hauppauge TV-card (not DVB) shares an
interrupt with other cards, same is true for ISDN cards.

Bottom line:
it all depends on the particular driver, not the OS.

I'd suggest to rip out the DVB card, make sure that no DVB drivers are
loaded at system startup and run this system for a week stress testing
it. If it still locks up your problem is elsewhere (most certainly
hardware - ever run memtest86 on your system at least over night?).

Cheers,
Juri