[linux-dvb] Re: Pinnacle Studio Deluxe

On Thursday 15 May 2003 16:01, Loren M Lang wrote:
> I am rather new to device driver programming, but am willing on to take
> on a new challenge.  What's the best thing to do due to try to reverse
> engineer the windows driver?  Is there a program that can tell me
> everything going on with the windows driver or should I buy a special
> pci card designed for such a job.  Or is should I try to somehow
> monitor the driver card as it's executing?
>
> I've also ran across someone who has been writing a driver for the
> ADV7171, the video encoder for this board, maybe I can get both
> working.

This is kind of off-topic for this list, but I've been working on reverse
engineering the Windows driver for the MyHD, based on the TL880 chip from
Oak/Teralogic.  Software that comes in handy: SoftICE (WinDBG might be an
okay substitute, but doesn't support local debugging and I've never tried
hard enough to get it running over network, serial, or firewire) and IDA
(interactive disassembler).  It also helps that MyHD drivers up through 1.54
have debug symbols enabled, but it's possible to figure out what various
subroutines do by the functions in the import table (i.e. a good candidate
for a register write function would be one that calls WRITE_REGISTER_ULONG).
There's a page on the DXR3 site at SourceForge that talks about reverse
engineering as well.  If you are lucky enough to find a Windows driver that
has debug symbols enabled, you can take a higher level approach to reverse
engineering by reading the disassembly to determine the card's function
rather than just dumping all register reads and writes.

http://dxr3.sf.net/re.html
http://myhd.sf.net/

--
Mike Bourgeous