[linux-dvb] Re: Weird problem

Hello Aurelian,

Hmm, perhaps you can give the "dvb-kernel" CVS driver a try. This is
exactly the same dvb-core, the same frontend drivers and the same av7110
driver, only the saa7146 subsystem has been changed to support
Video4Linux-2 for full-featured cards for example. It's the basis for
the upcoming 2.6 kernel and the old av7110-saa7146-driver will be marked
as obsolete when 2.6 comes out.

Ok, I have no problem with that. I'll try that...
Thanks. It's important that the in-kernel driver is tested by more critical users than the average one-dvb-s-card-user. (no offense intended... 8-)

Forgive me, I have no intention to criticize anyone (I'm not in the best
position to do that).

But I don't understant this quite right: am I wrong or is
it so that there are 2 slightly different branches of the drivers (the
"dvb-kernel" one, and this let's call it the "stand-alone" one)?
There is the "DVB" CVS driver, from which the official releases are build currently.

The "dvb-kernel" driver is basically the same, except that it has fixes workarounds and small improvements so that it works with both 2.4 and 2.5 development kernels and that it has a different saa7146 backend.

Both follow the v3 api.

The "dvb-kernel" CVS driver is currently available in the Bitkeeper Tree of the official Linux kernel, ie. as linux-2.6.0-test1-bk, too.

Once 2.6 is officially out, I guess "dvb-kernel" will replace "DVB". Nevertheless "DVB" can then be still used for stable 2.4 configurations and will have bugfixes applied for quite some time.

If this is so: won't it be better to have just one branch? (AFAIK ppl are
working on Ver4 of these "stand-alone" drivers).
IMHO v4 is not in sight yet. I think that this won't happen before 2.6 is out.

Sure it would be better to have one branch. But currently, many people out there use the DVB driver via an official release -- this is a plain Video4Linux-1 driver. They use vdr, kvdr and Video4Linux-1 applications for viewing and are happy with it.

"dvb-kernel", however, with the new saa7146 backend is a Video4Linux-2 driver. Video4Linux-1 applications still work through the compatibility layer, but sometimes things go wrong.

For me, "dvb-kernel" replaces "DVB" completely, I haven't used "DVB" for half a year now. I'm using the command line tools, vdr, xawtv and ts-to-mplayer stuff.

But IMHO a good separation line between 2.4 and 2.6 and "DVB" and "dvb-kernel" is desirable, because breaking applications through a changed backend isn't nice. If users change to a new kernel, breaking things is more acceptable. Other drivers like bttv do the same.

Just a thought... don't get mad on me :))
No problem. All your questions are perfectly valid.

All the best,
Aurelian
CU
Michael.