[linux-dvb] Re: Weird problem

> Hello Aurelian,
>
> >>Hmm, perhaps you can give the "dvb-kernel" CVS driver a try. This is
> >>exactly the same dvb-core, the same frontend drivers and the same av7110
> >>driver, only the saa7146 subsystem has been changed to support
> >>Video4Linux-2 for full-featured cards for example. It's the basis for
> >>the upcoming 2.6 kernel and the old av7110-saa7146-driver will be marked
> >>as obsolete when 2.6 comes out.
>
> > Ok, I have no problem with that. I'll try that...
>
> Thanks. It's important that the in-kernel driver is tested by more
> critical users than the average one-dvb-s-card-user. (no offense
> intended... 8-)

I want to tell you something guyz, I hope it is not too off topic :))
The reason I am writing this is that Michael said that is important to have
users that will test the DVB drivers with more than 1 card.

I am actually testing these drivers for 15 months now on a system having 28
cards (28DVB-S + 3DVB-T + 3DVB-C), spread in 7 computers (5x5s + 1x3t +
1x(3s+3c)). This testing system is installed in the Tampere University of
Technology, and with it we are multicasting (PIM-SM) continuously lots of TV
channels (arround 50-60) within the Intranet (Fast Eternet). The cards are all
budget cards (NOVA type S, T and C) because I only need access to data,
preferably whole transponders (no decoding involved)

We have played successfully those streams live with vlc, mplayer, windows media
player, nokia media terminal (with ethernet-connection), and a windows player
build by some students here.

From this point of view, I think that these drivers are good, they give me
relative little problems. However, when something is wrong (for example this
problem I have now after ugrading the drivers, which was explained earlier in
this thread), then it gets completely confusing (I remember one saying: "To
error is human, but to completely mess things up, you need a computer").

I do not know very many intricate details about the drivers (I was mainly busy
building this system), but I can maybe contribute to the drivers, by pointing
out some problems I encountered during this time, and maybe test things.

However, since this system is up and running for that long, I have more than 150
clients that use this service. Installing/reinstalling drivers over and over
again takes long time for the whole system, and people complain if service is
not running anymore :)) (this is the downside of offering free services).

This is why I can allocate let's say one computer of those 6+1 computers, having
5 cards for tests, and hope it is enough.

Anyway, to get to the point, I would like if you (especially the driver-guyz)
could recommend me a driver version/branch (like Michael proposed the
"dvb-kernel"), or any hints for that matter; so that at least the service to the
students/researchers here doesn't give me head-aches whenever I upgrade the
drivers.

Thanks a lot!
Aurelian