[linux-dvb] Re: MPEG-4

Nathan Whittacre wrote:
> I am currently working with a broadcasting company that has about 20
> channels on an Echostar satellite.  They are looking to multiplex a few
> MPEG-4 streams along side their MPEG-2 streams.  They are using
> Echostar's conditional access to restrict viewing.  If we used a PCI
> tuner with Linux that supports a CAM, could we, theoretically pull the
> MPEG-4 stream out of the multiplexed stream and decode it?  They tell me
> that some set-top-boxes can do this...but we do not have any specifics
> yet.  They are looking for some guidance on this matter and the stream
> would only be used for the PCI based tuner card on Linux.

AFAIK CI is only supported on AV7110 based cards (Hauppauge Nexus-S),
not on the Budget/Nova or other cards.

There are two implementations of the CI prrotocol stack: An old one in the
firmware, which has some quirks and does not work with many CAMs.
The newer one just implements a CI link layer interface which requires
a userspace library for handling CAMs. Code to do that is included
in VDR http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/, or in the libdvb from
http://www.metzlerbros.org/dvb/index.html.

HTH,
Johannes