[linux-dvb] Re: MPEG-4

Thank you for your response. Are there any plans to implement the CI protocol in the budget cards? If not, for what reasons? Also, what about decoding the MPEG-4 stream that is multiplexed with the MPEG-2 stream?
Thanks,
Nathan

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

Nathan Whittacre wrote:

I am currently working with a broadcasting company that has about 20 channels on an Echostar satellite. They are looking to multiplex a few MPEG-4 streams along side their MPEG-2 streams. They are using Echostar's conditional access to restrict viewing. If we used a PCI tuner with Linux that supports a CAM, could we, theoretically pull the MPEG-4 stream out of the multiplexed stream and decode it? They tell me that some set-top-boxes can do this...but we do not have any specifics yet. They are looking for some guidance on this matter and the stream would only be used for the PCI based tuner card on Linux.

AFAIK CI is only supported on AV7110 based cards (Hauppauge Nexus-S),
not on the Budget/Nova or other cards.

There are two implementations of the CI prrotocol stack: An old one in the
firmware, which has some quirks and does not work with many CAMs.
The newer one just implements a CI link layer interface which requires
a userspace library for handling CAMs. Code to do that is included
in VDR http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/, or in the libdvb from
http://www.metzlerbros.org/dvb/index.html.

HTH,
Johannes