[linux-dvb] Re: can't record some channels with vdr and a nova-sbudget card.

claas+linuxtv-dvb@jucs-kramkiste.de wrote:
Neun Live, DSF, HOT, N24, VIVA. The recording with VDR gets lot of cTS2PES errors and the recording is unusable. The systems with the rev 1.6 cards records the same recordings at the same time without any problems. I think that has something to do with the DVB driver and the used hardware. I've done some others tests and think that slower hardware give better recording. See the following 1h test recording done at the same time:
I used the following software:
DVB driver = CVS snapshot from 29.09.2003
I made a couple of the changes which went into this code recently. These should have improved the DMA behaviour on faster PC's.

As I mentioned on another email a moment ago, it might be worth trying a known good driver with and without these changes to see if they really are to blame.

You might also try reversing/applying the other recent change I did under the heading of "
Reducing the number of dropped packets when an error is detected".

Previously if the DMA buffer didn't start with an 0x47 sync byte then the whole buffer would be dropped. The change made the choice to drop the packet on a TS packet-by-packet basis.
This does introduce one unintended potential behavioural difference in the DVB driver. The packet-by-packet checking only gets applied when the driver does software section filtering. If you grab the whole TS feed from the card then it doesn't check for the sync bytes. If this proves to be the patch which causes the problem, then I can give you a patch which should return to the old behaviour.

Alternatively, can you try the dvb-kernel driver?

Jon