[linux-dvb] Re: tuning problems wih dvb-kernel

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 01:54:24PM +0100, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> >From: "Holger Waechtler" <holger@convergence.de>
> >
> >>Some of the VES1820 based cards have the I/Q wires between
> >>PLL/Synthesizer and Demodulator swapped, so you don't know in advance
> >>whether INVERSION_OFF is really INVERSION_OFF or not.
> >

> >Then the driver should detect the hardware type and makre sure that
> >INVERSION_OFF really results in the entire card being "inversion neutral".
> >We've actually had this discussion before... :)
>
> :) yes -- if you find a way to do this reliably, patches are welcome!
>
> >I don't think a "try&error" method at runtime is the proper solution to
> >this.
>
> well, it worked pretty good in most cases...

I just discovered that some problems I've been having was due to
INVERSION_AUTO not working properly. Runtime autodetection which don't
work properly 100% of the time is very broken IMO.

With the DVB driver, the INVERSION_AUTO would go wrong about 2 times a
week, and that made finding the problem impossible. The dvb-kernel
driver gets it wrong 50% of the time for my card, so that made it easier
to find and correct the problem.

I'm not familiar with the technical details here, but a module parameter
for overriding the autodetection would have caught my attention
sooner...