[linux-dvb] Re: DEC2000-t, Cologne DVB test-mode, howto, guide

> I own a(n) Hauppauge DEC2000-t. Getting
> it to work in Cologne, Germany using Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1
> has been - mildly put - nontrivial. More bluntly, it has
> been a pain. It only worked after I had spent about five
> hours in front of the computer and worked through
> the whole thread "Hauppauge DEC2000-t (Germany) tuning
> question"  on this list.
>
> To save others the trouble, I have gathered the information
> I learned and needed on my website,
> http://www.roland-gersch.de/dec2000.
>
> Comments & Corrections are welcome. I will be reading this
> list, unless volume turns too high for comfort.

Seems like a pretty comprehensive guide.  Some notes about the version of the
driver that comes with kernel 2.6.1, though:

No need to copy the firmware to /etc/dvb/ (make menuconfig points to a
document describing how to get the firmware now).
No need to uncheck 'Select only drivers that don't need compile-time external
firmware' - the driver uses the 2.6 kernel firmware loader now.
There is no dec2000-frontend module any more - the frontend is provided by the
ttusb-dec module.
It supports section filters to some extent, so you can use the scan utility
(found in the linux-dvb tarball) to produce a channels.conf file.

A couple of other things:

It's /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 not /dev/dvb/adapter0/vdr0
You might want to try different video outputs with mplayer.  Most people find
that -vo xv works well.
ts2ps reports data rates from the mpeg headers.  These are often wrong, but
players won't care.  Actual rates for terristrial DVB are about 4-6Mbits/s.

Cheers,
Alex