[linux-dvb] Re: UK DVB-T Freeview channel numbering

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> John Murdoch wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if the "scan" developers are considering incorporating
> > automatic channel numbering (for applications such as VDR) in the near
> > future for those services that support it?
> >
> > If so, I have attached a small patch (created against the CVS dvb-apps
> > tree) to retrieve the channel numbers for the UK terrestrial
> > "Freeview" service for use in VDR 1.2.xx. The channel numbers can be
> > found in the NIT table as the user-defined descriptor 0x83 and each
> > channel number has a corresponding Service ID which is included in the
> > descriptor.
>
> How did you find out about this user-defined descriptor?
> Is there any documentation available about its format (and maybe
> other user-defined descriptors, too)?

This must be the Logical Channel Descriptor. We have them in Australian
DVB-T too. I've seen them defined in a couple of places, but the only one
I have on hand at work is in the NorDig standard. It's on page 49 (section
12.2.5) of version 1.0 of the 'NorDig-Basic' document (www.nordig.org ...
seems they are at v1.0.1 now 'tho :). The same doc defines a couple of
other 'user-defined' descriptors.

I haven't bothered doing anything with the LCN descriptor in my apps
because the data in it is not very useful here (due to our DVB-T
broadcasting setup ... IMHO).

> Klaus

{P^/