[linux-dvb] Re: Example modifications to support request_firmware

Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >
> >The i2c bus and devices in the DVB driver will have to be registered
> >with the Linux device infrastructure if we ever want to have working
> >power management (e.g. a STB with *real* standby).
>
> ?!?
[snip]

What I meant to say: Any bus and any device must be part of the
global device tree, and thus have their own struct device *.
Kernel i2c already does it right, and it might be less work
for us to drop our i2c stuff and use the kernel i2c, than
to add proper device mangement to the DVB i2c bus and device
drivers. If we add other bus drivers (SPI or whatever) we'll
have to implement device handling right from the start.

> >BTW: Recommended reading: http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/
>
> They suggest porting the code to the device class/kobject infrastructure
> - I'm sure this is unavoidable on the long term, but doing it now would
> castrate the 2.4 compability we still need until realtime and embedded
> kernels for 2.6 are ready, stable and widely used.

The "DVB has its own i2c implementation" topic already came up on lkml,
and I fear if we add firmware loading hacks it won't go unnoticed...

And we'll have to make sure the drivers work with udev soon.

2.4 backwards compatibility makes it all quite hard. Maybe it
would be easier to create a spearate tree for 2.4 and backport
important fixes, but do main devlopment for 2.6?

Johannes